Victim Offender Mediation Association
VOMA Connections Quarterly newsletter
- VOMA Connections No. 23 Spring 2006 in PDF. "Nevada Program Uses Mediation to Assist the Homecoming of Released
Prisoners" by Barbara Timmons Strahl; "Hurricane Katrina, Environmental Racism
& Restorative and Community Justice" by C. Holly Denning; "Restorative Justice Defuses Conflicts Surrounding Middle School Riot" by Patrick Wolff; "Navajo Nation Peacemaking: Living Traditional Justice" review by Russ Immarigeon; "Culture as Seedbed of Change" (second of four parts) by Jarem Sawatsky; "New Resources for the Practice of Restorative Justice" by Russ Immarigeon
- VOMA Connections No. 22 Winter 2005-2006 in PDF. "Restorative Justice and its Paradoxes" by George Pavlich; "Developing Restorative Justice in Missouri" by Nina Balsam; "VOMA Explores Transition Options"; "Restorative Justice: Imagining the Possibilities"; "The Concept of Restorative Justice in African Traditional Heritage" by Doreen Jemutai Ruto; "Justice That Heals and Transforms" by Jarem Sawatsky; "New Resources for the Practice of Restorative Justice" by Russ Immarigeon; "Restorative Justice Roots in Indian Popular Culture and Gandhian Philosophy" by Rina Kashyap; "Working with Judges to Affect Change in the Criminal Justice System" by William T. Preston and Greg D. Richardson; "International Perspectives on Restorative Justice" review by Russ Immarigeon
- VOMA Connections No. 21 Fall 2005 in PDF. "Restorative Justice in the 21st Century: A Social Movement Full of Opportunities and Pitfalls" by Mark Umbreit, Betty Vos and Bob Coates; "Restorative Justice: The Gap Between Vision and Practice" by Harmon L Wray; "E Makua Ana Youth Circles: A Transition Planning Process for Youth Exiting Foster Care" by Lorenn Walker; "New Resources for the Practice of Restorative Justice"
by Russ Immarigeon; "Restoring Schools: A Case of School Accountability Boards"
by Sandra O’Brien, Ph.D.; "Historical Accounts of Restorative Justice"
by Russ Immarigeon
- VOMA Connections No. 20 Summer 2005 in PDF. "Afrocentric Restorative Justice; Restorative Justice: A Report from El Salvador"; "New Resources for the Practice of Restorative Justice"; "New Zealand Groups Issue Guidelines on Best Practices for Restorative Justice Processes";
Book Review: Kathleen Daly on Restorative Justice
- VOMA Connections No. 19 Winter 2005 in PDF. "Community Involvement in Restorative Justice" by Martin Wright, assisted by Orlane Foucault; Search for Restorative Justice History Leads Back into the Future by Russ Immarigeon; Parallel Justice: a new framework for providing justice to crime victims by Susan Herman and Michele Webster; Victim Offender mediation Media Coverage has both Advantages and Pitfalls (the Oprah show) By Susan J. Szmania, Ph.D.; 2004 Mini-Grants Awarded; Recent Advances in VOMA Management Services by Dale R. Landry, Barbara Raye, and Leslie Young; "Resources for Restorative Justice" by Russ Immarigeon
- VOMA Connections No. 18 Fall 2004 in PDF. Uploaded April 13, 2005.
"Why Victims Choose to Meet with Offenders" by Robert B. Coates, Heather Burns, and Mark S. Umbreit; “Simple Society” Statements Focus on Restorative vs. Retributive Justice; "For New Zealand Green Party, Restorative Justice Targets Prison Population Reduction and Other Anti-Crime Measures" by Green Party of Aotearoa/New Zealand.
- VOMA Connections No. 17 Summer 2004 in PDF. Uploaded July 13, 2004.
"Restorative Justice and Domestic Violence Resolution in Thailand" by Angkana Boonsit, Ron Claasen and Suwatchara Piemyat; "New Zealand City Establishes Restorative Justice Library Collection"
by Leslie Clague; "Welcome! New VOMA Board Members" by Claire Harris
- VOMA Connections No. 17 Insert Summer 2004 in PDF. Uploaded July 13, 2004.
"Mediation and Reconciliation in the Context of War, Prison and Political Aggression" a training to be offered August 5, 2004 as part of the FOR conference in which VOMA is joining.
- VOMA Connections No. 16 Winter 2003-2004 in PDF. Uploaded February 25, 2004.
"Empathic Encounter: The Relationship Between Self-Reported Empathy, Process, and Outcome in a Restorative Justice Program" by Harrison Braxton; "Parents are a Missing Link in Restorative Justice Processes' by Carolyn McLeod; "Can Drug Courts & Restorative Justice Co-exist?" by Russ Immarigeon; "How Can Victim Offender Mediation Challenge Social Injustice?" by Lois Presser; "Reflections on Restorative Justice in South Africa and Serbia" by Marian Liebmann; "The State of Restorative Justice" by Russ Immarigeon; book reviews.
- VOMA Connections No. 15 Fall 2003 in PDF. Uploaded October 21, 2003.
"Models of Criminal Justice Ministry and Resistance" by Harmon L. Wray; "Conferences and Membership Maintain Restorative Justice Values" by Susan Wiese; Book Review: A Restorative Justice Reader by Russ Immarigeon; "VOMA in Romania" by Barbara Raye, Annie Warner Roberts and Susan Wiese; "Legislative Statutes on Victim Offender Mediation: A National Review" by Mark Umbreit, Elizabeth Lightfoot and Johnathan Fier; "Why sentencing circles might improve the way courts communicate" by Peg Christian; Book reviews.
- VOMA Connections No. 14 Spring 2003 in PDF. Uploaded July 11, 2003.
"Critical issues in restorative justice: Aotearoa New Zealand" by Shirley Zülich; "Victim Offender dialogue in violent cases: the Texas and Ohio experience" by Mark Umbreit, Betty VOS, Robert Coates and Kathy Brown; "The use of restorative justice to address structural oppression" by Isla Roona; "Listening to prisoners raises issues about prison-based restorative justice" by Barb Toews; "The beginning of a partnership" by Sue Wiese, Barbara Raye and Ann Warner Roberts.
- VOMA Connections No. 13 Winter 2003 in PDF. Uploaded March 10, 2003.
"Safe Schools: Strategies for Changing a Culture," by Catherine Bargen; "Restorative Practices in Schools: An Antidote to Zero Tolerance," by Ted Wachtel; "Anti-Bullying Program Aims to Shift Culture in Schools: Is This Restorative Justice in Action?" by Jane Riese; "A Whole School Approach to Restorative Justice"
by Belinda Hopkins; "Aides, Administrators and All the Teachers You Can Get," by Nancy Riestenberg; "School-based Restorative Justice — Context and Practice," by Russ Immarigeon.
- VOMA Connections 13 Research and Practice Insert.
"Restoring School Communities: A Report on the Colorado Restorative Justice in Schools Program," by Alice Ierley and Carin Ivker.
- VOMA Connections No. 12 Autumn 2002 in PDF. Uploaded December 17, 2002.
"Restorative Justice & Sexual Abuse, Wiping Away the Tears: A Faith Community Responds
to Clergy Sexual Abuse in the Roman Catholic Church," by the Albany Catholic Worker Community (Albany, New York); Howard Zehr, "Critical Issues in Restorative Justice: An Inadequate and Overlapping Outline"; Catherine Bargen, "Describing Restorative Justice, Restorative Justice: Expanding our Approach"; Russ Immarigeon, "Restorative Justice Comes from Many Quarters"; "Canadian Conference Explores Critical Restorative Justice Issues"; Phyllis Turner Lawrence, "Funding Restorative Justice"
VOMA Connections 12 Research and Practice Insert.
Robert Coates, Mark Umbreit, and Betty Vos, "A Case Study of Developing a Systemic Approach toward Restorative Justice in Washington County, Minnesota">
- VOMA Connections No. 11 Summer 2002 in PDF. Uploaded October 19, 2002.
Barb Toews, "Listening to prisoners raises issues about prison-based restorative justice"; Chris Graveson, "How the police and youth court coordinators contribute to the effectiveness of New Zealand Family Group Conferences"; Ron Claassen, "First Restorative Justice Conference, Tel Aviv, Israel, May 1-2, 2002"; Russ Immarigeon, "Restorative Justice Gains Widespread Attention"
VOMA Connections 11 Research and Practice Insert.
Martin Wright, "The Paradigm of Restorative Justice."
- VOMA Connections No. 10 Spring 2002 in PDF. (Note: 1.19 MB file.)
David Benedicktus and Laura Wood, "Local Government Partnerships Help Integrate the Victim Offender Mediation Program in Clark County, Washington"; Jarem Sawatsky, "A Shared JustPeace Ethic: Uncovering Restorative Values"; Barbara Raye, "Commitment to Diversity Requires Safe Places for Continual Learning"; Kay Pranis, "Telling Our Stories and Changing Our Lives"; Mark Umbreit, Ph.D. and Heather Burns, M.S.W., book review of Victim Offender Mediation in Europe: Making Restorative Justice Work; VOMA Board, "A Restorative Response to Terrorism"
VOMA Connections 10 Research and Practice Insert.
Marian Liebmann, "Victims and Restorative Justice Around the Globe" Uploaded May 28, 2002.
- VOMA Connections No. 9 Autumn 2001 in PDF. Uploaded September 26, 2001. (Note: 528k file.)
Kathleen Bird and Mary Ellen Reimund, "RJ Dialogue Processes Are They Confidential?"; David Dyck, "Core Principles of Case Development for Victim Offender Conferencing"; VOMA welcomes new administrators; VOMA conference news; Fall Preview of New Restorative Justice Books.
Special insert to Connections 9
, Robert B. Coates, Ph.D, Mark S. Umbreit, Ph.D, Betty Vos, Ph.D., "Restorative Justice Circles in South St. Paul, Minnesota"
- VOMA Connections No. 8 Winter 2001 in PDF. Uploaded January 11, 2001. (Note: 1.38 MB file)
Irene Ratner, "Recognizing Bias is Important Focus for RJ Dialogue Practitioners"; Doerfler and Elton, "VOMA Develops 3-Year Strategic Plan"; Kerrie Naylor, Ph.D. and Kathy M. Elton, MPA, "Truancy Mediation: Helping Youth to Stay in School"; photos of 17th Annual Training Institute and Conference in Minnetonka, Minnesota
- VOMA Connections No. 7 Autumn 2000 in PDF. Uploaded October 12, 2000.
Phyllis Turner-Lawrence, "Dialogue with Offenders Produces Potential Value for Victims"; restorative justice and victim offender mediation on the World Wide Web; Tara Ronayne and Stephanie Saybyan, "Minnesota Juvenile Arson Conference"; VOM Trial in Sweden.
- VOMA Connections No. 6 Summer 2000 in PDF. (Note: 1.7 MB file)
Kay Pranis, "Face to Face Public Spaces: Reflective Community Dialogue Helps Create New Community Standards"; Peg Christian, "Colorado Community Survey: A Pathway to Restorative Practices Survey results are useful for community presentations, grant writing, and the development of a VOM Program"; Phyllis Turner-Lawrence, "Devastating Experience Leads Victim to Advocacy and Restorative Justice Profession"; Ken Webster, "Thames Valley Police Facilitate Restorative Conferences United Kingdom Case Studies Exemplify Victim Offender and Community Processes."
- VOMA Connections No. 5 Spring 2000 in PDF.
Marian Liebmann, "Traveling VOM & Conference Training Advances Restorative Justice in Russia"; Katrien Lauwaert and Ivo Aertsen, "European VOM Forum Draws Participants From 27 Countries"; Martin McAnallen, "Northern Ireland Case Studies: Victims Appreciate Opportunities to Express Feelings."
- VOMA Connections No. 4 Fall 99 in PDF.
Mary Achilles and Lorraine Stutzman Amstutz, "Victim Services and VOM Programs: Can They Work Together"; Mark Umbreit, "Research & Resources Review"; Marty Price, "Mexico Mediation Training Institute
Includes Restorative Justice and VOM"; Doris Luther, "Convenience Store Robbery Case Study."
- VOMA Connections No. 3 Summer 99 in PDF.
William R. Nugent, Ph.D., Mark S. Umbreit, Ph.D, Lizabeth Wiinamaki, and Jeff Paddock, "Participation in Victim-Offender Mediation Reduces Recidivism"; "VOM Cases Featured on TV News Programs"; Carol Lavery and Mary Achilles, "Apologies: Balancing the Needs of Victims and Offenders"; Sarah Reichwald, "Defining Success in Mediation."
- VOMA Connections No. 2 Spring 99 in PDF.
"Fundraising for the Future"; Kathleen Bird, "Juvenile Justice Grants Particularly Suited to Initial Program Development: JJDP Pilot Program for VOM"; Karen Wright, "Overview of Funding Sources"; Mark Umbreit, "Humanistic Mediation: Creation of a Safe, if not Sacred, Place can Foster Direct Dialogue among the Parties"; Carol Sullivan, "California Restorative Justice Project: Strategic Prevention and Intervention Efforts Build
Healthy Aspects of Youth, Family and Community"; Lois Kenagy, "In Memory of Roy Allen: A Negligent Homicide Case Study"; David Moore, "Conflict Transformation Theory: Australian Community Conferencing Model Moves Into the Workplace"; Dorothy Barg-Neufeld, "Victim Sensitivity Awareness Training: Winnipeg Pilot Program Explores Journey of Victims of Homicide and Violent Crime."
- VOMA Connections No. 1 Winter 98/99 in PDF.
- VOMA Connections No. 1 Winter 98/99 in HTML.
Jean E. Greenwood and Mark S. Umbreit, "National Survey of Victim Offender Mediation Programs in the US"; Jean Greenwood, "What Makes Mediation Meaningful for Participants?: A Look at Underlying Principles of Victim Offender Mediation"; Maureen Holen and Joanne Lescher, "VOP Program in Oregon Combines VOM and Criminal Thinking Error Training"; Becky Glessner, "VOM Network Helps Programs in Pennsylvania."
- VOMA Quarterly Spring 1998 in PDF.
- VOMA Quarterly Spring 1998 in HTML
Eric Ian Shank, "Restorative Justice in Russia"; Patrick M. Wolff, "Restorative Justice Buzzes Around Guam"; Anna Costanza Baldry, Melania Scali, Laura Volpini, "Mediation in the Italian Juvenile Justice System: A Mediation Service Project."
- VOMA Quarterly Winter 1998 in PDF
- VOMA Quarterly Winter 1998 in HTML
David Lerman, "Restorative Justice and Jewish Law"; Trish Charo and Barb Toews, "Training for Trainers"; Mark Umbreit, Direct & Indirect Mediation: Implications for Expanded Restorative Justice Practice."
- VOMA Quarterly Fall 1997 in PDF
- VOMA Quarterly Fall 1997 in HTML
Ruth Zimmerman, "Family Group Conferencing"; Gerard Palk, "Conferencing in New Zealand and Australia"; Tony F. Marshall, "Criminal Justice Conferencing Calls for Caution"; Beverly Moore, "Small Group Conferencing in Minnesota: A VOMA Interview with Carolyn McLeod."
- VOMA Quarterly Spring 1997 in PDF
- VOMA Quarterly Spring 1997 in HTML
David Doerfler, "Victim Offender Mediation/Dialogue Program Victim Services, Texas Department of Criminal Justice"; Warren Ostler, "An IN-System VOMP"; Kay Pranis, "Communities and the Justice System: Turning the Relationship Upside Down."
- VOMA Quarterly, Fall-Winter 1996 in HTML
Mark Umbreit, "A Humanistic Mediation Model"; Marty Price, "Victim Offender Mediation: A Road Somewhat Traveled."
© 2014 Victim Offender Mediation Association